Thursday, August 17, 2006

Yufuin, and the Amazing Summer Seminar Spectacular


I begin this article at least as I sit in Yufuin, a picturesque little mountain town in the centre of Oita prefecture. I'm here to participate in the annual English Summer Seminar, an event held for the benefit of about 150 Japanese kids from around Oita. The idea, basically, is that these kids are looking to improve their English by (in theory) speaking nothing but for 3 days. Meanwhile, we fabulous ALTs keep the party rolling by devising games, activities, skits and by basically making roaring asses of ourselves. I actually got a pretty cool activity, the English Olympics, in which I put the kids through their paces with a number of English-based sporty-type activities. It's kind of cool to think that I'm actually the sportiest in our group (a.k.a. Sporty Spice), but then again that's not saying much. You know I kid because I love, guys.
Anyway, the camp has been running for 30 years, and I had the pleasure of participating for this big anniversary. I'd say it went off smashingly, and the kids seemed to agree. It was a great experience and we all enjoyed it immensely. In addition to the sports, I also sat in on a dance class where, if I do say so, I showed the kids a thing or two about shaking one's groove thang. We also threw the kids a party where we all did the "Time Warp" (again), put on a play, and held a talent show in which yours truly wowed them with the poi (remember those?). I also found time to improve my juggling and met a whole lot of smashing new ALTs, so all in all it was a productive week.
The whole idea is a brilliant one, and was organized very well by Rhoda Marshall and Tom Collins (yes, like the drink), two local ALTs. It's really helpful for the kids, it's a great way to form friendships, it gives the ALTS who are fresh off the plane a taste of teaching, and it gives us old ones a break from the routine. It's really refreshing to have fun with kids who understand you and who like English, as opposed to regular classes where unconsciousness and blank stares are the norm...
I'm definitely going again next year, and to be honest I dread going back to the routine in the meantime. In the next little while though, there will be lots to do, like welcoming parties for new ALTs, my long-awaited trip to Korea to visit my cousin Bryan and my sister Claire, and a road trip back down to Miyazaki. Stay tuned, I'll keep you posted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home